Many resources offered by the HPC team may be accessed using Microsoft Remote Desktop.
NOTE: You must have a smartphone with Duo Authentication installed and configured to use many of these services.
There are three mechanisms for connecting. We are ordering them by order of performance.
OnDemand Interactive Apps:
OnDemand allocates a node or nodes for your use. This is the most effective method of getting a remote desktop session on the cluster. You can request an exclusive allocation, as many cores as you require, and will not share your allocated resources with others.
- Open https://ondemand.hpc.fau.edu/
- Click Interactive Apps
- Click KoKo 3 Desktop
- Configure any custom settings.
- Click Launch
- Once your job starts click Launch KoKo Desktop.
- This will start an RDP session in your web browser.
Note: If you select a v100 node you the graphics should start up with support for 3D acceleration.
We have configured XRDP on the login nodes, this allows users to Remote Desktop using Microsoft Remote Desktop Clients. To use this connection option you must have the Duo Application configured on a smartphone.
Shortly after providing your password you will receive a Duo push request which must be accepted.
- To connect to Koko start Microsoft Remote Desktop
- In the computer, field enter koko-login.hpc.fau.edu.
- Press Connect
- If prompted to confirm the identity of the remote computer click “Yes”.
- When prompted to enter your FAUNet ID and password, don’t forget to accept the Duo Push notification on your smartphone.
- Press Log In
- Download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the app store.
- Launch Microsoft Remote Desktop.
- Click Add PC (plus sign)
- In the “PC name” field enter koko-login.hpc.fau.edu.
- Click “Add”.
- If prompted to confirm the identity of the remote computer click “Continue”.
- When prompted enter your FAUNet ID and password, don’t forget to accept the Duo Push notification on your smartphone.
- Press Log In
Access via HTML5
- In a modern browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) visit https://koko-rdp.hpc.fau.edu/guacamole
- Log in with your FAUNetid and Password + 2Factor (if prompted)
- Click KoKo 3.0
- Enter your username and password.
- Confirm the Duo prompt on your smartphone.
RDP sessions are automatically closed if idle (disconnected) for more than 4 hours. We recommend running non-X11 tasks using the screen to prevent loss of data.
Users are not guaranteed to reconnect to the same RDP session is disconnected. (However, this usually does occur)